Do you have an appointment to get braces? This is an exciting time for you as you are on your way to a beautiful new smile. Getting braces means taking extra time to care for your teeth so that you can minimize the time you spend on your orthodontic journey. There will be dietary limitations to heed so that your teeth and gums can remain as healthy as possible.
Here is a short checklist of items that will be beneficial to take care of before you get your new braces.
- Have a dental checkup, including x-rays, to detect any issues such as cavities
- If decay is an issue, make sure all cavities are filled so they will not interfere with your orthodontic appliances
- Floss regularly so your gums are in excellent condition before your braces are on
Consider enjoying some snack foods that may be restricted during orthodontic treatment. Once your braces are on, eliminating these foods will ensure that your braces stay securely on your teeth and your gums do not get injured or infected.
- Crusty Breads
- Chewy Candy
Stocking up on soft foods will also be beneficial for the first few days after getting your new braces. Some recommended soft foods include:
- Mashed potatoes
- Apple Sauce
The Day You Get Braces
Some patients are excited and some are nervous. Either way, you can expect your initial appointment to be approximately two hours. Dr. Snyder will make sure that you feel comfortable every step of the way!
Once the brackets have been cemented on your teeth, the archwire will be applied and your elastics will secure it in place. This is where the adjusting begins and unfortunately, you may feel some minor discomfort. It is recommended that a pain reliever such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen be taken approximately 30 minutes before your appointment. This is a great way to stay ahead of the soreness and discomfort that you may feel when your teeth begin to move. For the first few days, Dr. Snyder may recommend that you continue with regular doses of pain relieving medicine to make sure any discomfort is minimized. You will be most grateful for your soft foods a few hours after you get your braces.
Braces and Beyond….
Now you are on your way to achieving not only a beautiful smile, but a healthy one as well. Your orthodontic treatment will give you an ideal bite which will optimize your oral health for the future. Here are a few things you can expect during the upcoming months:
- Adjusting to speaking with your braces
- Brushing after every meal/snack to remove any food that is caught in your braces
- Flossing everyday to keep your gums their healthiest, which will reduce decay as well as reduce the time your stay in your appliance
- Regular orthodontic visits,including adjustments, which may cause some soreness for the first few days
- Getting lots of compliments on the cool colors you chose for your elastics
At Snyder Orthodontics, we look forward to getting to know your child and giving them a beautiful healthy smile. Our top priority is helping patients achieve the ideal bite that will provide optimum oral health for the future. If you or your child could benefit from orthodontic treatment call us today at (276) 632-4144 for your complimentary consultation.